Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ticks for everyone

Things are pretty hot and sticky down here at the moment so I don't like to be out for too long! This weekend I've managed to do nothing at all which is great. Last weekend was the Australia Day weekend and so that meant it was time to lay very low while the flag-waving idiots swarm all over the place drinking beer and going on about how Australians are better than anyone else. It really is a very unpleasant thing. I escaped up into the mountains which is very nice because Emily's folks are Kiwis.

Pitt Town Lagoon

The weekend before, I headed out around Windsor for a bit of bird-watching as a few unusual species had been reported in the area. Unfortunately I dipped on the Black-chinned Honeyeaters, the Ruff, the Grey Plover and the Bitterns but everyone else added loads to their lists (although, as we all know, Allan isn't keeping one!) with some top Cuckoo, Finch and Brown-headed Honeyeater action.

Pelicans and two species of Spoonbill

I didn't notice the Yellow-billed variety until I got home - there he is on the left

Hopefully I'll be able to add some new birds of my own next weekend as I'm heading north to Brisbane for a couple of days...

3 Comments:

At 9:25 am, Blogger AGL said...

Yeah a few dips, but it was a great day! :-) .. as Jarrod also points out on his blog in his own Jarrod way ;-) Did not notice the double spoonbill combo either, will have to get through my pictures from that trip this week. Cheers Allan

 
At 9:32 am, Blogger AGL said...

.. Uh, and going to Brisbane sounds very interesting - any target birds?

Happy hunting - KH Allan

 
At 7:52 pm, Blogger Jarrod said...

Oh well keep two or three weeks free around July and we can go up to Darwin and tick a few in amoungst dodging the drunks, mosquitoes and crocodiles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home