Thursday, July 19, 2007

Around The Alice

Heavitree Gap resort

Our hotel in Alice Springs was right on the edge of town tucked up against a rocky ridge which was home to several Black-footed Rock Wallabies. Although wild, they would nervously come down each evening from the hill to be fed (with pellets available from reception!).

Dave entices the Rock Wallabies out of the bush

I managed to do a bit of walking in the McDonnell Ranges west of town and when I couldn't be bothered walking myself, I'd just jump on my camel!

Me and my camel

I went out with Kath one morning on a hunt for big Red Kangaroos at the Alice Springs telegraph station and luckily we managed to turn up a couple of them with a joey.

Red Kangaroo and joey blending into the hillside rather well

I also managed to tick off the Little Crow #355 and the pretty rare Black Falcon #356! After searching for quite a while in various canyons and squeaking at the rocks, I found the Dusky Grasswren #357 and the Alice Springs sewage works turned up the Black-tailed Native-hen #358. This completed the week's scoring. Ten new ones including my target Dusky Grasswren and the bonus of a Black Falcon which isn't too bad by any means but what happened to the Spinifex Pigeons at Ormiston Gorge? "Common like urban pigeons" said my book. I think not.

Ormiston Gorge waterhole

Telegraph Station, Alice Springs

Above Standley Chasm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home