Sunday, February 25, 2018

The pros...

Vincentia, Jervis Bay

We've just had a lovely weekend down in Jervis Bay with a few friends and unusually for me we spent most of our time just hanging out on the beach and in the surf. Of course I can't be doing that for too long and so we also found a nice rock platform and broke out the fishing gear.

Bream

The frozen prawns did the trick again and we were soon pulling out some nice fish.

Crimson-banded Wrasse

Eastern Wirrah Cod 

Just south of Jervis Bay there's a place called Bendalong Beach which is known for it's friendly stingrays. We had a few prawns left over and so we headed down there and sure enough a number of rays turned up for a feed. No monster stingrays on this occasion but several nice eagle rays which would swim up and butt your ankles. They were more than happy to let you stroke them and were very much at ease. I always thought that the eagle rays were harmless but I've since read that they too have a nasty stinging spike at the base of the tail. Maybe I wouldn't have been as hands on with the larger ones if I'd known that beforehand!

Southern Eagle Rays
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home