Wednesday, January 10, 2007

NSW South Coast (4th-6th January '07)

I've just been down on the state's south coast for a change. I spent the first two days with Palli and Fleur at Fleur's parents' holiday house at Bateman's Bay and then I stopped off for a look around Jervis Bay on the way back north.

Very nice of Fleur to invite me down. Thanks again!

I also managed my first successful follow-up on an internet bird tip-off! It was on the way south anyway in a small park on the south edge of Sydney so I thought I'd better pop in on the way past. Luckily the birds were still there exactly where they were supposed to be. A pair of roosting powerful owls #338.

Powerful Owl

I then carried on down the coast for 3 hours or so to Bateman's Bay. Fleur's place is less than 100 m from the beach so we just hung out there for most of the time. There are loads of lovely little beaches right along the coast so it wasn't too busy despite the holiday season.

A lovely spot for breakfast

Palli riding a wave and me catching a barrel....... with my face!

On the way back north I spent the day in Booderee NP next to Jervis Bay on the look-out for the rare eastern bristlebird which hangs out on the coastal heath in the park. I think you really have to be there at dawn or dusk to stand a chance of the bristlebird or the even rarer ground parrot but I did bag a shining bronze-cuckoo #339 in a patch of woodland so all was well!

Bristlebirds and ground parrots - they're in there somewhere!

There were lots of wallabies and kangaroos about too which I reckon is a little unusual in the middle of the day. Unfortunately they were too quick for me to get you any pictures unlike little dragons and spiders. Next time.....

2 Comments:

At 9:57 am, Blogger Aleisha and Simon Iremonger said...

The eastern bristlebird is about as rare as the $7 rump steak at the Royal. I think we hit about 10 with our car when we were in Jervis Bay (maybe thats why you didnt see any).

 
At 8:09 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Following up internet tips? Sounds like the start of the slippery slope to twitching! Arghhhhh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home